A high-quality Science education provides foundations for understanding the world. Science has changed our lives and is vital to the world’s future prosperity. Through building key foundational knowledge and concepts, our pupils are encouraged to recognise the power of rational explanation and develop a sense of excitement and curiosity about natural phenomena. They are encouraged to understand how key knowledge and concepts can be used to explain what is occurring, predict how things will behave, and analyse causes. This understanding is consolidated through their appreciation of applications of Science in society and the economy.
In teaching Science we are developing in our children:
- a positive attitude towards Science and an awareness of its fascination;
- an understanding of Science through a process of enquiry and investigation;
- confidence and competence in scientific knowledge, concepts and skills;
- an ability to reason, predict, think logically and to work systematically and accurately;
- an ability to communicate scientifically;
- the initiative to work both independently and in co-operation with others;
- the ability and meaning to use and apply science across the curriculum and real life.
At St Andrews our intent is to give our pupils the opportunities to think like scientists, to explore and discover the world around them and to gain a deeper understanding in doing so. We encourage a love of science and the broad and diverse opportunities it can bring to their later lives, we aim to expand their understanding of how a love of science can lead to a vast number of career pathways. We believe their ambitions should have no limit! We provide a range of exciting and practical experiences that encourage curiosity and questioning that helps them to further their knowledge and understanding. We have a coherently planned and sequenced curriculum which has been carefully designed and developed with the need of every child at the centre of what we do.