OWL: Outdoor Woodland Learning
Here at St. Andrew's one of our unique features is our Woodland Outdoor Area. Each class enjoys learning in the Owl environment and undertakes curriculum linked lessons which include activities such as music making, cookery, fire making, den building, craft skills and a whole host of other exciting activities.
What is Outdoor Learning?
- Outdoor Learning nurtures the holistic needs of an individual.
- It allows our young people to develop essential Social and Emotional skills that are needed in preparation for life as they grow.
- It teaches them how to learn in whatever situation they may find themselves.
- Outdoor Learning sessions have opportunities to play in a safe, secure, and fun environment where children can develop their physical, intellectual, communication skills by being allowed to take risks – ‘having a go’ as well as learning to manage their own risk taking.
- It encourages and inspires our young people through achievable tasks in a woodland environment.
- It encourages them to become more resourceful, resilient, and reflective thinkers.
- A young person’s confidence and independence increases and enables them to develop a positive sense of well-being and of self- worth.
- It provides a chance to safely explore, investigate and learn in an outdoor environment.
- Outdoor Learnings allows the children to have first- hand experiences in a natural setting. These multi-sensory experiences encourage the young person to explore and investigate the world and environment in which we live, ensuring they develop their responsibility to look after nature.
- It provides opportunities for work co-operatively together and extend their learning in a practical way.
We encourage these sessions to take part whatever the weather no matter the season, therefore, it is essential that your child is dressed appropriately. [Please make sure all clothing and footwear is clearly labelled].
Personal Protective Equipment:
Your child will need: -
- Waterproof clothing-Trousers and coat.
- Wellies/walking boots/old trainers.
- Hat, gloves, scarves in the winter.
- Sun hat in the summer.